Sunday, June 28, 2009

How hard is it to run a non-profit

I am a 2006 graduate of UT's master's social work program. I thought I had what it takes to run a non-profit. I learned how to write a proposal, I learned how to do program evaluations, I learned how to work with advocates, work with policy issues, and even landed a job with a government nonprofit which has provided opportunity to use everything I learned in my 2-year social work program. I even used my assignments as an opportunity to test my non-profit agency design.

How then, am I having such a difficult time soliciting reliable volunteers and funds. Why am I still up in arms about writing the actual program design and evaluation tools for Youth Changes. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I understand that I am not a charismatic person. I have little to no experience in attracting believers and idea followers. I'm not a people person. At least I wouldn't consider myself one since I am usually left to my own notoriety all by myself.

The number of board members needed depends on the organization and its goal and purpose. In creating my own nonprofit I now know that I would 1st establish a board of dedicated individuals before I try to activate my agency in its designed purpose. Without dedicated and dependable board members your agency is going to be stagnant forever.

More to come later. There are so many issues on this topic I need and want to cover.

No comments: